The question of how much jewelry a person should wear is hard enough, but what about how much jewelry you should own? Purging closets is a popular and freeing activity, but you may have never considered purging your jewelry collection. Getting rid of pieces you haven’t worn in ages can help you remove clutter not only from your dresser, but from your mind as well. Think of how much time (and possibly money!) you could save if you vow to keep your jewelry collection simple.
First and foremost, deciding on the amount of jewelry you should own is a personal choice based on the size of your storage area, your budget, and your style. If you’re reading this because you think you have too much jewelry and you want to pare back your collection by selling a few diamonds with us, or if you’re reading this because you would like to score some extra cash for your wares, then you’re on the right track.
Your style of jewelry—and the amount you own—all depends on your desired daily look. People everywhere have used accessories to liven up outfits for thousands of years, and having the right collection can make your daily life easier and help you achieve the style you seek.
Once you’ve committed to stripping your collection of clutter, choosing which pieces constitute “clutter” can be a big challenge. Here are some gentle guidelines to help you choose how you want to outfit your jewelry wardrobe:
- Earrings: While some minimalists advise against owning more than five pairs of earrings, other style experts focus more on which earrings you should have. The basic types of earrings are stud, hoops, and chandelier earrings. When you’re choosing which ones you want, consider paring your collection down to basic diamond studs and hoops. If you think diamonds and hoops offer an unnecessary amount of bling for your taste, consider selling your diamonds with us and trimming back to a pair of studs in every basic color: pearls, silver, and gold.
- Layering Necklaces: Whether you choose pearls or a chain, it’s a good idea to have 1920s style layering necklaces to wear on a night out. They are an easy way to add an element of romance to an outfit, especially if you mix and match pretty pearls with shiny metals or clear gemstones.
- Pendant or Charm Necklace: A short collar-length necklace that holds your favorite pendant or charm is a great piece to wear every day. While it’s not showy, it is pretty and will add some dazzle to an otherwise plain outfit.
- Statement Necklace: If you’re a jewelry lover, you know all about statement necklaces. They’re lovely, decorative pieces that can turn a plain outfit into an exciting one. Some fashionistas recommend choosing a turquoise necklace every time, but no matter which color you choose, it is an easy way to take an outfit from work to dinner.
- Cocktail Ring: Like a statement necklace, a cocktail ring is a pleasant and pretty reminder that wearing jewelry is supposed to be fun, not a difficult task. Hang on to that crazy-big cocktail ring you bought on a whim last year, or add a new one you’ve been thinking about to your collection. A cocktail ring is an easy way to add a splash of color to your outfit and to show off your personality and style.
- Chunky Watch: While this might seem like a strange choice to add to a must-have list, a chunky menswear-inspired watch is a great piece to add to your outfit if you want to make a statement. Plus, it’s practical.
When picking out the pieces that make the final cut, remember that jewelry exists to add to your style, not add to your stress levels. More isn’t always better, and a few key pieces can really go a long way.